Across the border into Lancashire, Marion Hutchinson introduced us to Waddow Hall and the village of Waddington. This Hall, now owned by the Girl Guides Association, originated in the 16th century as a Tempest family dower house. Although much altered in Georgian and Victorian times, some small attic rooms do still reveal Tudor beams, with clear carpenters’ rase marks. Waddington village is built on each side of its beck, and was once busy with milling, farming and a tannery. Nineteenth century houses built in twos and threes are prominent now, but early cobbled access routes remain, undoubtedly used by the monks travelling between the two great abbeys of Sawley and Whalley. Two imposing pairs of gates in the middle of the village allow a glimpse of the handsome façade of Waddington Old Hall.
The greater part of this Hall dates back to at least 1464 when Henry VI took refuge here, but was betrayed by Thomas Talbot of neighbouring Bashall. Extensive restoration took place in 1900 by John Waddington, who claimed to be a direct descendant of the Anglo-Saxon chieftain Wadda and whose family seat was Waddington. The Church probably dates from the 13th or 14th century when a new parish was created from part of the parish of Mitton, but it has been rebuilt twice in the last 200 years. Similarly, attractive Almshouses originated in the 17th century, to accommodate ten widows. In 1700 Edward Parker and five other trustees used the rents of land, typically, to maintain the hospital, which was subsequently rebuilt and modernised, as was the small chapel which we were able to access.